Stage/2. Stand tall and shine bright.
ASGT’s Stage/2 Project represents the second time we’ve undertaken a major restoration and renovation of our historic property. The first was in 1967, when a small group of arts enthusiasts converted a vacant blacksmith shop & warehouse in downtown Annapolis into the outdoor theatre space we occupy today. It was a labor of love.
Launched in our 40th anniversary year (2006), the Stage/2 Project is an ongoing, multi-phase project to restore, renovate, and rejuvenate our historic property. Essential upgrades to the building’s exterior, interior spaces, stage, and seating area will strengthen our historic structure while providing a more comfortable, modernized experience for our growing community of patrons, artists, and volunteers.
This transformative project also addresses long-standing limitations of our historic building. Updates will allow ASGT to extend our downtown presence year-round; enhance the artistic experiences of our patrons, performers, and volunteers; expand our artistic and educational programs; and optimize our efficiency.
Many updates and improvements have already been completed. Click below for details.
- Upgrading the building to three-phase commercial power (an essential project!)
- Replacing the gravel with a pervious walking surface
- Making much-needed improvements to the lobby and restrooms
- Improving the dressing rooms for the comfort of our volunteer performers
- Developing a capital campaign to raise funds for future upgrades
To view our original concept design from 2006, click here. These plans are being updated to address the organization’s changing needs.
You can make a difference!
Click below to learn how. Together, we’ll make Annapolis and Anne Arundel County a great place to live, work, and play for years to come.
Phase One of the project is complete, including:
- Brick repointing to replace crumbling mortar and strengthen the building’s structure (March-May 2010)
- Exterior priming and repainting in a more historically accurate slate gray (Fall 2010)
- Replacement of all exterior doors and windows (Fall 2011)
- Replacement of the building’s aging tin roof (March 2012)
- Sound system upgrade including recabling, installation of new trusses, and installation of new weather-resistant speakers (Winter 2013) – read more
- Acquisition of new weatherized LED lights (April 2014)
- Repairs to the tech booth, emergency exit walkway, siding in the theatre’s house (May 2014)
- Strengthening and repointing of the historic brick wall on the western edge of our property, at audience left, which supported a promenade along the waterfront in the 1800s (June 2014)
- Replacement of wood siding on the exterior wall facing the elementary school parking lot (December 2015)
Phase Two is the fun part! Improvements to the building’s interior will include:
- Expanded restroom facilities
- Better traffic flow in the lobby
- Improvements to the courtyard and exterior lighting
- A lowered stage and sloped house floor with a comfortable walking surface
- More “leg-and-elbow” room without sacrificing seating capacity
- Improved sound and lighting capabilities
- A fully acclimatized building, heated and cooled by geothermal energy and usable year‑round
- An administrative office and meeting room
To begin Phase Two, ASGT needs significant financial support from individuals, foundations, businesses, and corporate donors, large and small—and the continued support of our friends and fans, who can help with fundraising and serve as advocates for ASGT in their communities.
Here’s how you can help!
- Make a donation to Stage/2.
- Explore opportunities for business/corporate support by e-mailing the Development Director.
- Assist with individual and foundation fundraising efforts. E-mail the Development Director to get started.
- Follow our progress and spread the word! Tell your friends and family about ASGT’s contribution to the community and urge them to contribute and get involved.