Auditions: “The Prom”
Call all your friends, get dressed up in your best outfits, do your hair & makeup, grab the camera, and tie up those Converses, cause……. It’s time for Prom!!!!
Four eccentric Broadway stars are in desperate need of a new stage. So, when they hear that trouble is brewing around a small-town prom, they know that it’s time to put a spotlight on the issue…and themselves. The town’s parents want to keep the high school dance on the straight and narrow—but when one student just wants to bring her girlfriend to prom, the entire town has a date with destiny. On a mission to transform lives, Broadway’s brassiest join forces with a courageous girl and the town’s citizens and the result is love that brings them all together. THE PROM expertly captures all the humor and heart of a classic musical comedy with a message that resonates with audiences now more than ever.
Auditions for ASGT’s The Prom (May 23rd – July 15th, 2024) will be held:
- Friday, January 19th, 6:30-9:30 PM (Please plan to arrive at 6:30)
- Saturday, January 20th, 1-4 PM (Please plan to arrive at 1)
- Callbacks (by request): Tuesday, January 23rd (6:30-9:30 PM)
Location: Anne Arundel Community College (Rooms TBD)
- Candidates are asked to prepare 16 -32 bars of an upbeat song, plus one alternative in a different style. Please bring sheet music in the correct key. An accompanist will be provided for you. Please no a cappella singing or accompaniment tracks. Do not choose selections from the show.
- Please bring your resume and headshot.
- There will be dancing at the auditions, please make sure you wear comfortable clothing and athletic sneakers, Converse, or lace-up Vans (no character/dance shoes)
- Cold readings from the script may also be requested.
Roles are unpaid, non-equity
All roles are available. Age ranges are not literal, but what actors can convincingly play on stage. All ethnicities, genders, and body types are encouraged to audition for any role.
In the production of The Prom there is mature content and strong adult language.
Additional details will be posted soon.
- DEE DEE ALLEN – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 60’s, A narcissistic two-time Tony award-winning Broadway actress whose star is beginning to fade. A huge ego to match her huge talent. Hilariously self-involved but yearns to do something good for someone other than herself. Known for her strong Broadway belt vocals and large stage presence. Jaded with relationships so does not believe in true love.
Vocal Range E3 – D5. Actor needs to have a strong belt or a very strong mix belt
- BARRY GLICKMAN – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 50’s, A gay Broadway star. Completely politically incorrect and doesn’t know it. Impulsive and loves to make a scene everywhere he goes. Has a broken past, but deep down has a heart of gold.
Vocal range: F4 – B2
- ANGIE DICKENSON – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 40’s, A 20 year ensemble member in the Broadway production of “Chicago”. Jaded Fosse girl with a giving heart. Strong Singer
Vocal range: E3 – D5
- TRENT OLIVER – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 40’s, Baritone. A pretentious Broadway star who is better known for TV sitcom. Loves the sound of his own voice.
Vocal range: C3- Ab4. Actor will require a large vocal range. The top is most important but having the full would be ideal!
- EMMA NOLAN – Any ethnicity, 17+, A reluctant poster child for LGTBQ+ youth. Very smart. Has a bit of a tomboy quality. Wears her heart on her sleeve. Not your typical leading lady. Must be a strong actor and singer with underdog energy and a charming sense of awkward/anxious humor. The ability to play guitar is an asset but not a requirement.
Vocal range: F3 – E5
- ALYSSA GREENE – Any ethnicity, 17+, a cheerleader and top student. Tries desperately to fit in. Secretly Emma’s girlfriend, but afraid to come out. Afraid to stand up to her mother. Faces constant pressure from her mother and friends. A little miss perfect who chafes under the pressure and isn’t quite as perfect as she seems.
Vocal range: Ab 3 – Eb5
- MRS. GREENE – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 40’s, Alyssa’s Mother and the President of the PTA. Very strong, controlling and intimidating. Loves her daughter very much but has a very specific view of what is right and wrong for her daughter, the school, and the town.
Vocal range: A3 – C5
- MR. HAWKINS – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 50’s, A small town principal. Easily flustered. Strait-laced. Emma’s biggest ally, A Broadway enthusiast.
Vocal range: G2 – C4
- SHELDON or “SHELLY” SAPERSTEIN/AS CAST – Any ethnicity, 30’s – 50’s, A charismatic press agent who works for both Dee Dee and Barry. Dry wit a must. Female, Male OR Non-Binary identifying.
Vocal range: Open – Will be adjusted to fit the actor
- KAYLEE/ENSEMBLE – Any ethnicity, 17+, Head cheerleader and lead mean girl. Nick’s girlfriend. Every girl wants to be her, and every guy wants to date her. Bullies, but eventually learns to accept Emma. Strong singer/ dancer.
Vocal range top: Wide range
- SHELBY/ENSEMBLE – Any ethnicity, 17+, Popular cheerleader at school. Kaylee’s second in command, and Kevin’s girlfriend. Bullies, but eventually learns to accept Emma. Strong singer/dancer.
Vocal range: Wide range
- NICK/ENSEMBLE – Any ethnicity, 17+, Popular jock at school. Kaylee’s boyfriend. Incredibly handsome – every guy wants to be him, and every girl wants to be with him. Bullies, but eventually learns to accept Emma. Singer/dancer.
Vocal range: Actor needs to have an F4
- KEVIN/ENSEMBLE – Any ethnicity, 17+, Jock at school and Shelby’s boyfriend. Nicks right hand and the class clown. Bullies, but eventually learns to accept Emma. Singer/dancer.
Vocal range: Actor needs to have a G4
- ENSEMBLE- PARENTS/GODSPELL CAST – Any ethnicity, 25 – 60, Singer/dancer.
- ENSEMBLE- STUDENTS – Any ethnicity, 17+, Singer/dancer.
ASGT is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Actors of all sizes, body types, races, ethnicities, gender identities, abilities and experience levels are encouraged to audition.