50th Anniversary (2016)
“ASGT has gone all out for its 50th birthday…It’s the audience that gets to celebrate.”
Jim Reiter, Bay Weekly, 8/11/2016
Let’s celebrate 50 years of theatre under the stars!
For five decades, with the help of an ever-evolving corps of volunteers, ASGT has entertained our community with live musical theatre in an intimate outdoor setting in historic Annapolis. (Read about ASGT’s history.)
This anniversary was an exciting opportunity to celebrate our rich history. It also presented an opportunity to stretch ourselves creatively, set a course for the future, and dream up new ways to entertain, engage, and delight you. After all, as DCMetro Theater Arts noted this past August, we’re “still as original, fresh, and frisky as a young puppy”. DCMetro Theater Arts 8/7/2015
It was a big year for us, as we presented:
- An exuberant season of musicals: The Wedding Singer, RENT, and The Producers
- 50th anniversary gala event featuring a concert version of Brigadoon (details below)
- An original 50th anniversary musical in September 2016
- A new history video project made possible through a strategic grant from the Arts Council of Anne Arundel County
- This brand new website, a refreshed logo, and a redesigned season brochure
- Anniversary banners displayed at City Dock and on Main Street from June 15-July 15
Please subscribe to our e-newsletters or follow us on social media for the latest news about ASGT. Or donate today to support our work. Are you a first-time donor? Consider a gift of $50 for 50 Years!
Here’s to the next 50 years—we hope you’ll be a part of it!
Press Coverage of the Celebration
- Explorer Annapolis (June 30, 2016) – A Quirky Little Theatre under the Stars Celebrates 50 Years or view a PDF
- WNAV’s 1430 Connection (June 17, 2016) – Listen online
- The Capital, Entertainment (May 27, 2016) – Turning 50 and Still a Hit: The Wedding Singer Kicks Off ASGT Season or view a PDF
- Severna Park Voice (May 2016) – ASGT Set to Open 50th Season With Lineup Celebrating Love, Life, and Laughter or view a PDF
- Baltimore Sun, Arundel Section (April 24, 2016) – For 50th Anniversary Year, Stars Align for ASGT or view a PDF
- Up.St.ART Annapolis (Spring 2016) – Visit their website or view a PDF
- The Capital (May 17, 2015) – ASGT Hits the Stage for 50th Performance Season
ASGT’s 50th Anniversary Gala
Saturday, May 7, 2016
William Paca House and Gardens
186 Prince George Street, Annapolis
Our hearts are full. Our 50th Anniversary Gala on May 7th was a night we’ll never forget. ASGT and our guests enjoyed food and drink, reconnected with old friends and met new ones, reminisced, remembered those who couldn’t be with us, and celebrated as the sun went down. Plus, we enjoyed a magical concert performance of Brigadoon, the first musical ASGT ever produced. All of this fun took place on the very spot where ASGT presented its first performance season in 1966.
ASGT’s current Board, artistic community, and volunteers stand on the shoulders of countless individuals who carried the organization forward to where it is today. We’re grateful for their commitment–and their blood, sweat, and tears!
We’re thankful, too, for our current artists, volunteers, patrons, donors, fans, and friends. Your positive energy and enthusiasm keep us going. We do it all for you.
Please join ASGT in thanking the following people who helped make the event a success:
- All who attended the event and celebrated with us!
- 50th Anniversary Committee Chair Sharon Cimaglia
- The entire 50th Anniversary Committee, especially Pat Browning (Event Coordinator), Eloise Ullman, Amanda Cimaglia, Debra Kidwell, and Carolyn Kirby
- Jody Dalton of Historic Annapolis for her expert assistance
- Brigadoon director & conductor, and the nicest guy you’ll ever meet, David Merrill
- Our uber-talented corps of Brigadoon musicians
- Our amazing singers Ashley Gladden, Molly Green, John Halmi, and Tom Magette
- Board members Dan Caughran, Dan Snyder, and Scott McCormick and their hardy group of volunteers who transformed the Paca Gardens into a performance space
- Our friends & local businesses who donated items for our raffle: Duncan Hood, Blanca Flor, Loews Annapolis Hotel, Zachary’s Jewelers, Tsunami, Metropolitan, Lemongrass, and Dan Caughran
- Everyone else (Board, volunteers, event staff) who pitched in, in ways large and small, to make the event a success!
And special thanks our valued event sponsors. Click the logos below to check them out!