Auditions – Bullets Over Broadway
Bullets Over Broadway: The Musical – Audition Announcement
Mark Your Calendar
- When: Jan 17 at 7:00 PM and Jan 20 at 1:00 PM
- Where- Anne Arundel Community College – CADE 107
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes for dancing. Bring a headshot (if you have one, if not one will be taken for you) and a resume.
- Music Audition – prepare 16 bars of a song in the style of the show (1920’s)
Pre-Audition Workshop – Saturday, January 13
Please join us for a FREE pre-audition workshop on Jan 13 from 11:00-12:30. Our choreographer for Bullets Over Broadway (Pauline Lamb) will be conducting this workshop. It will include a jazz musicality based warm up and a short combination. The second part of the workshop will be reviewing some tap basics, providing some resources for working on tap from the ground up and challenging our more proficient tappers with a combination. Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes for dancing and don’t forget your tap shoes!
Location: Anne Arundel Community College – CADE 103
Please arrive early to sign in – IT’S FREE!
Character breakdown as follows:
- David Shayne (Lead): Male, 25-35 – an aspiring playwright who is determined to protect the integrity of his artistic vision. He lives with his girlfriend, Ellen, in bohemian Greenwich Village, but finds himself falling for the lead of his new play and overwhelmed by the pressures of success; exceptional comedic actor who sings well; baritenor; principal.
- Helen Sinclair (Lead): Female, 30-45 – a world-renowned actress, hasn’t had a hit in a very long time, grand and flamboyant, has been recruited by David Shayne for the lead in his play; soprano belter; principal.
- Olive Neal: Female, 20-30 – the chorus-girl girlfriend of mob boss Nick Valenti, Olive’s dream is to become a real actress. Unfortunately she has no talent and is exceptionally grating onstage. Comedic actress; dancer; belter.
- Cheech: Male, 25-45 – hit man for mob boss Nick Valenti, has been told to keep an eye on Olive Neal during rehearsals. There he discovers his own talent as an artist, and rewrites David Shayne’s play-to much success. Must move well; baritone.
- Ellen: Female, 25-35 – the loyal, but long-suffering girlfriend of David Shayne; an artist herself, a maker of ceramics. Tired of being taken for granted by David, Ellen starts an affair with their mutual friend; high belt.
- Julian Marx: Male, 40-60 – a veteran Broadway producer of David Shayne’s play. In exchange for money needed to mount the production, Julian agrees to cast Nick Valenti’s untalented girlfriend Olive in the show; baritone.
- Nick Valenti: Male, 30-50 – a New York mob boss, and boyfriend of Olive Neal. Keeping good on his promise to make her a star, Nick has agreed to put up the money for David Shayne’s play – with the condition that Olive is cast in the show; baritone.
- Eden Brent: Female, 25-55 – an aggressively perky actress. Her tiny dog, Mr. Woofles, is her constant companion. Comedic actress; soprano, moves well.
- Warner Purcell: Male, 30-45 – an esteemed theater actor, as well as a compulsive over-eater; has embarked on a very dangerous affair with Olive Neal; comedic actor, tenor, must move well.
- Ensemble (Chorus / Ensemble): Males & Females, 20-40 – very strong singers/dancers; tap experience preferred.
NOTE: All roles are open to actors of any ethnicity.